Opening Day is coming very soon! Let’s take a look at what the NL West did during the offseason to take another run at the World Series.
2020 Record: 43-17
- Joc Pederson OF- signed with CHC (7HR; 23H)
- Enrique Hernandez UTL- Signed with BOS (20 RBI; 32H)
- Jake McGee RP- Signed with SF (2.66 ERA; 33K)
- Alex Wood SP- Signed with SF (12.1 IP; 15K)
- Trevor Bauer SP- Sign from CIN (1.73 ERA; 100K)
- Justin Turner 3B- Resign (.307AVG; 400 OBP)
- Corey Knebel RP- Sign from MIL (10.1 SO9; 13.1 IP)
With the additions of Trevor Bauer, the Dodgers do look to be hungry for another ring. This looks to be like the best team in the NL West. Trevor Bauer is coming off a Cy Young year and David Price coming back after taking last season off seem to have one of the deepest rotations in MLB. They lost some main relievers but with Julio Urias now working more and signing Knebel they look confident in their club.
2020 Record: 37-23
- Luis Perdomo RP- Signed with MIL (17.1 IP; 16 K)
- Jose Castillo RP- Out for season (118 ERA+; 38.1 IP)
- Mark Melancon CP- Signed from ATL (11 SV; 177 ERA+)
- Ha-Seong Kim SS- Signed from KBO
- Yu Darvish SP- Signed from CHC (2.01 ERA; 76 IP)
- Blake Snell SP- Traded from TB (50 IP; 3.24 ERA)
- Joe Musgrove SP- Traded from PIT (39.2 IP; 55 K)
The Padres have made a statement this offseason. That is they are ready to compete and want to win now. They have transformed their rotation to one of the best in the league. This adds to their lineup that contains Fernando Tatis Jr. Myers, Hosmer, and Machado.
2020 Record: 29-31
- Justin Smoak 1B- Signed with (Japan) Yomiuri Giants (14R; 15RBI)
- Andrew Suarez RP- Signed to Play in (Korea) LG Twins (3.72 ERA; 117 ERA+)
- Tommy La Stella 2B,3B- Signed from OAK (55H, .281 AVG)
- Jake McGee RP- Signed from LA (2.66 ERA, 33K)
- Alex Wood SP- Signed from LA (12.1 IP; 15K)
- Buster Posey 1B, C- Off Restriction List
The Giants seem to be in the middle of the road on where they stand. They could go to rebuild or surprise contenders. One thing we know for sure and is Buster Posey who would be returning from the RL after missing the season due to Covid-19.
2020 Record: 26-34
- Nolan Arenado 3B- Traded to STL (8 HR; 26 RBI)
- Daniel Murphy 1B- Retired (29 H; 16 RBI)
- David Dahl OF- Signed with TEX (17 H; 9 R)
- Kevin Pillar OF- Signed with NY Mets (.288 AVG; 34 H)
- Robert Stephson RP- Traded from CIN (10 IP; 13 K)
- Greg Bird 1B- Signed from NY Yankees (1 HR; .550 OPS)
With the losses of Arenado and Pillar, it appears the rebuilding process has begun. They still have names such as Trevor Story and Jon Gray so it may be wise to keep an eye out if any can become big trade pieces for the future.
2020 Record: 25-35
- Joakim Soria RP- Signed from OAK (2.82 ERA; 24K)
- Tyler Clippard RP- Signed from MIN (26 IP; 2.77 ERA)
- Asdrubal Cabrera INF- Signed from WSH (46 H; 31 RBI)
Even with finishing in the last place in the 2020 season the Diamondbacks still look to be competitive for the upcoming season. The additions of Soria and Clippard do show they look to bolster the bullpen. Would not be surprising if they are active during the trade deadline.
The 2021 season is coming in full swing and the NL West shows to have 2 front runners in SD and LA. The Padres look to come in to make a name for themselves along with LA looking to repeat. A decent-looking Arizona team can also come in and make it a very exciting division to keep an eye on.